Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Slimming World - Scan Bran

Monday 30 May 2011

Scan Bran is one of Slimming Worlds best weapons, apparently you can guarantee loses of at least 2lbs on weeks you fit lots in.  This didn't work for me the first week but I am assuming my body needed to get used to unrefined fibre before I saw the benefits.


It's like a harder, more cardboard like version of ryvita. Now I know this makes me a bit of a freak but I quite like it plain!  Other than that I usually top it with extra light cheese triangles and nibble on it for breakfast.  It's very filling and it is meant to have all the other benefits associated with lots of fibre ;) Just make sure you drink plenty of water with it or you could have unwanted consequences...

Lots of Slimming World followers have been really inventive with scan bran to make it more palatable and easier to fit into their diet which includes a variety of cakes!  I decided that in the name of research I really should test some of these.  I will post a recipe a week for the next few weeks, first up:

Curly Wurly Scan Bran Cake


Ingredients
4 Scan Bran
2 eggs
3 or 4 tbsp sweetener (to taste)
1 sachet Belgian Choc Options
26g Curly Wurly bar
Soak the Scan Bran in boiling water to soften. Then drain and mash.
Beat the eggs and stir into mix, along with the sweetener and Belgian Choc Options
Chop the Curly Wurly into pieces and add to the mix
Pour the mixture into a microwavable bowl and cook for around 6 minutes
When cooked the cake will be springy to the touch and will have pulled away from the side

You can also cook the cake on 200°C/Gas Mark 6 for approximately 30 minutes

It's just 12 Syns for the whole cake and can be divided into as many slices as you like



I was pleasantly surprised just how nice this cake is, I gave my boyfriend some to try and he wanted more!! I couldn't really taste the curly wurly to be honest so am going to try it without next time which would be just 6 syns for the whole cake :)

15 comments:

  1. Where would I find this? Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @confessionsofamakeupahloic you can buy it at slimming world classes or at holland and barretts, it's about £1.35 for 10 slices xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply :) I'll have a look in Holland & Barretts so x

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHHH! My mum is on slimming world and is always trying to get me onto scan brran, I really dont like it and it's plainness. Inventive ideas with it like this might convince me otherwise! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ryvita and use scan bran occasionally. I'll definitely try this recipe, my diet has fallen by the wayside this weekend.
    Caroline
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was told by a personal trainer that fiber for breakfast is one of the best things you can do to lose weight. I have Fiber One or bran cereal for breakfast most days, but I'm going to look into this stuff for variety. How much is 'lots' though? Like, how many slices should you have per day to guarantee the 2lbs weight loss?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5slices a day and must drink 2ltrs of water

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. 5slices a day and must drink 2ltrs of water

      Delete
  7. I've just mentioned this to my Mum cos she bought some in her last SW meeting. She said it's nice if you put mashed up banana on it and leave it to soften for a little bit. I tried the scan bran choc cake one time but I really didn't like it. I'd rather save my syns for something properly chocolate then go half way on something that isn't as good


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. deffo off to holland and barrets asap!
    thank you for sharing gorgeous!

    sharlxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried this today.... It tastes so good! Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this cake without the chocolate and used mixed dried fruit and mixed spice instead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's worth a try if it gets results. There are lots of good toppings out there too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You given some valuable tips in your article. I'm very much impressed with your post.

    kimera

    ReplyDelete