Disqus for Where Are My Knees

The 30 Day Shred: Level 1, Completed!

Friday 13 May 2011



Ten days ago I started Level 1 of the 30 Day Shred. I had no idea what to expect, but have been massively impressed with my progress so far. Yes, it is an intense work out with no breaks, but I find that because it's split into intervals (3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs) it's not too bad. And it's only 20 minutes a day that you can do from the comfort of your home - what's that compared to spending 1hr+ in the gym? Right.

Days 2 and 3 were the worst for me. I hated them. I almost gave up on day 3 because my calves were too sore. I could barely walk without feeling as if my calf muscle was going to burst out of my leg at any moment. But the pain had passed by Day 4, so stick with it if your muscles are burning! My legs do still burn the most whilst doing the workout, but it's went from complete agony to that reassuring "this is working" type of burn you get whilst exercising. I can live with that.

I can feel a huge improvement in my endurance too, this really started showing at around Day 6. On Day 1 I couldn't do a modified push up, I have no upper body strength at all. By Day 6 I could easily do the full amount of time of modified press ups. I also noticed on Day 6 that I had developed nice little bicep muscles and that my tummy, although it was still podgy, felt firmer and toned.

By Days 9 and 10 I was getting bored of Level 1. I knew the circuits inside out and despite really pushing myself, I wasn't finding them massively challenging. I've skipped through Level 2 so see what it involves, and I'm feeling a bit nervous as it's supposed to be the hardest of all three levels. Most people I've spoken to about the 30 Day Shred say that they haven't made it past Level 2, and gave up half way through it. I'm determined not to do that though - BRING IT ON, LEVEL 2!!

Unfortunately I managed to lose my original measurements, so I'm not able to tell you exactly how much I've lost but I do look a little more toned than I did before and I'm feeling AMAZING. It's surprising how much better just 20 minutes of exercise a day can make you feel about yourself. I'll take some more measurements today and update you all on what I've lost in 10 days time, after I complete level 2!

Have you been doing the 30 Day Shred along with us? Let us know how you're finding it!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, well done Charlene! This has really motivated me to dust off my copy and try to complete level 1. Keep the good work up guys, I love your blog, it is so inspiring hearing from normal girls with similar goals to me.
    Becca xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´ve gotta say reading about the shred on here was what made me search for it, download it and eventually start with it.
    I´m on day 9 and moved on to Level 2 after first 3 days but then my bf joined so now we´re doing a mixture of 2 and 1 (1 on days when we go to the gym or for a long walk or something and 2 on days when we feel like we can do it:)).
    It´s actually really funny, watching Derek jumping around. He´s always like "Daaah,I never thought girly workout is so damn hard!":D
    In terms of improvement, I´ve been a bit of a fitness freak for the past couple of years so I don´t really get sore muscles or anything because my body´s used to working out, however, I did notice some changes especially on my stomach, calves and shoulders.
    I haven´t taken my measurements either but I usually concentrate on the way my body looks and the way I feel rather than numbers (this especially applies for weight) and I can tell I am feeling stronger and a bit more toned.
    I´m determined to get through the whole thing, especially now when it´s a part of my evening routine.
    Very well done, Charlene and thanks for introducing me to this crazy shred:) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post, I'm so inspired to try this out
    It sounds like an ideal workout for a busy person, and with fantastic results!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to do the whole 30 days shred in a row! I recommend No More Troublezones when you finish the 30 day shred! Theres not much cardio in it, but has some insane ab, glute and butt workouts. Im dripping at the end, but it feels great!

    www.racing-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I havent even taken mine out of the packet, but you have me very motivated to do so! Tomorrow morning its coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit I havent even taken mine out of the packet, but you have me very motivated to do so! Tomorrow morning its coming out!

    http://alittlelessofsarah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done! I love the 30 Day Shred - feel like it gives me a good workout and it's short enough to fit into my day. I bought the DVD about 6 months ago and at first could barely do Level One...last week I did all three levels in one day so it really does work! (Yeah, I could barely more for the next two days but still, I did it!) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once I move house I'm definitely going to try this out. I do running which is great for CV and my legs but I want to do more to tone the rest of my body


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to get this. You were all raving about it on twitter this week and it sounds brilliant.

    I've lost 2kgs this week - it's my first week on Slimming World. 20 minutes exercise would go along way in helping. I'm hoping to lose about 12 kilo in total.

    Caroline
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm on day 4 i honestly feel like my legs are on fire but im not going to stop! Keep up the good work i will let you knowmy measurements in a little bit xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm starting this today - i got the dvd yesterday and am super hyped! Fingers crossed I've got the willpower to work through the pain... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm on day 3 now and finding it actually not too bad, in the sense of it's not made me want to stop. It is pretty intense but I'm not dreading it like I thought I would. Well done on getting to day 10, and good luck on Level 2 :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just started - Day 1 was today and I really enjoyed it!
    I've written about it on my blog too:
    http://tea-breaks.blogspot.com/2011/05/pull-bear-little-catch-up-and-project.html

    Claire Marie x
    http://tea-breaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete