Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Creamy Beef Goulash

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Slimming World have just released another amazing cookery book.  If you follow Slimming World I really recommend you purchase a few of their cook books.  They are well priced (this one is just £4.99) and packed full of tasty recipes. 

After flicking the pages and drooling over most of the pictures I settled on creamy beef goulash as the first recipe to try from this book.  It looks amazing!!

Serves 4-6
Free on original
Free on Extra Easy

Freezer friendly
Ready in 2 hours 10 minutes

400g can chopped tomatoes
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced (I skipped these, yuck!)
2 red peppers, deseeded and diced
1kg lean braising steak, all visible fat removed, cut into thin strips
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1 bay leaf
a pinch of marjoram
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
250g fat free natural fromage frais

Preheat the oven to 150°C/Gas 2. Put the tomatoes and onion in a saucepan and place over a medium heat.  Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook gently for 10-12 minutes, until the onions have softened.

Stir in the mushrooms and peppers and cook for a further 6-8 minutes.

Place the steak in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle over the paprika, caraway seeds, bay leaf, marjoram and dried herbs.  Season well and pour over the tomato mixture.  Cover tightly and cook in the oven for 1½ hours or until the meat is tender.

Beat the fromage frais until smooth and pour over the casserole before serving,  Cabbage and carrots would make a perfect accompaniment.

This recipe would also work well with pork or lamb.

Unfortunately I was so excited I forgot to take a photo! Ooops.  I had my parents round for dinner the night I made this and they both loved it too, my Dad asked for the recipe as he couldn't believe it was diet food it was that tasty, thanks Slimming World!

No comments:

Post a Comment