Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Guest Post - Danielle from A Blog From Blackpool

Saturday 23 April 2011

Today's guest blog is written by Danielle from A Blog From Blackpool.

My Life In Diets


For as long as I can remember I have been dieting or meaning to diet. When I was a baby I didn’t eat, my mum went backwards and forwards to the doctors but I refused all solids. My mum would spend hours trying to get me to eat and a successful meal would be minuscule, but as soon as I started school, I began to eat normally almost overnight – my mum was thrilled and relived. I could eat what I liked and I was constantly praised for eating and during primary school I went from skinny to chubby.

2000
I started high school very aware I was bigger than most, by the time I was 12 I was 5”5 with 34C boobs and a size 12-14. Yes I was bigger than most of my friends, I wasn’t huge but I felt like an utter elephant. Instead of dieting sensibly I crash dieted. I spent the rest of my high school year’s starving and binging. My weight crept up. Outwardly, it was never an issue I was good at sport and I had lots of friends, but inside I always felt a bit rubbish. By the end of high school I ran on autopilot. Starving myself in the week and binging on alcohol and junk at the weekends. I went through phases of only eating 100 calories a day or only eating protein. Sometimes I would pretend I didn’t care and go for weeks eating the things I usually denied and sometimes I would be wracked with guilt after every bite. I thought I could control my weight but in reality I was gradually gaining and forming habits that have been difficult to break.

2005
At college my diet got worse, I would eat greasy hangover cures in the day and go out 3 or 4 times a week drinking and I would stop off at a takeaway on the journey home. I wanted to be the life and soul of the party I longed to recapture the popularity I had experienced at high school and always being up for a night out was part of that.

2007
Then a few things changed. I left college and hadn’t done as well as I should have. The relationships I had at college dissipated and I was left looking at an exhausted mess in the mirror and I hated what I saw. I realised that everything I didn’t like was mostly my own fault. I started Slimming World in my gap year and lost 2 stone.

2008
When I started University, I tried to stick to the Slimming World way but I struggled. I didn’t like spending my money on food and returned to my high school ways of starving and binging. I lost another 9lbs during that year but it was mostly down to stress, illness and stopping drinking almost completely.

2009
The next year and a half my weight fluctuated but stayed around the same mark. I moved back
home and the stability stopped my starving/binging cycle. I was thankful I hadn’t gained all the
weight I had tried so hard to lose.

2011
My new year’s resolution was to lose weight. I started counting calories but when I am faced with a choice between a banana or a milky way I will always chose the milky way. I could see my old habits returning for me if I know I have 1500 calories a day it’s just too tempting to not eat all day in favour of a tub of ice-cream in the evening. Not very healthy. In February my mum suggested we return to Slimming World and I jumped at the chance. We go together on a Monday I am building a positive relationship with food once again. Last time I let University get in the way but this time, I have determination by the bucket load. Slimming World is a really healthy diet and I’m having steady losses of 1-3 lbs per week. I am still allowed treats and a portion of Ben and Jerrys at the end of the day doesn’t mean I have to starve the next, but I will no longer let people lead me a stray or use circumstances as excuses for self sabotage. This is what I want and now I am on the right track, nothing can stop me.

Danielle xx

9 comments:

  1. This was a really moving post to read, I imagine it was really difficult to write. Brave to share your experience with us, thank you. Glad you're in a better place now :)
    http://cgdn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My diet has always been similar... so awkward and unhealthy but we will get through it :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such an important post. i also think its really, really honest. adressing food issues is something i am trying to come to terms with at the moment. so thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you girls its a strange feeling being so publicly honest about my issues with food so its great to se such lovely comments.
    Danielle
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I can actually relate to a lot of that! I started growing bigger than my classmates and there were all tiny so I felt so incredibly isolated from them. Your post is so inspiring and this is yet another thing that makes me wish there was a Slimming World here! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you SO much for sharing. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your story is real inspiration- I've had a rubbish relation with food for a long time, much like yourself and it's amazing to see you've obviously got real determination to not only look and feel good but to make sure you have a healthy relationship with food.

    Nice one for being brave enough to share and all the best for your continuing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story is just like mine, glad to read that your relationship with food is much healthier now x

    ReplyDelete