Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Steak and Chips

Thursday 31 March 2011

I, for one, absolutely love steak and chips, and I'm preeeeeety sure I'm not the only one. It's a proper good meal and I only usually indulge once every so often because it's not the healthiest of choices and depending on the type of steak you like (not gonna lie, I go for one that's mid-priced for no particular reason!) it can get quite expensive. However, while I was on Slimming World I discovered their version. Luckily, it's not like healthy fish and chips (who wants boring grilled fish?) because it still tastes, and more importantly, LOOKS (kind of) like unhealthy steak and chips!



This is my dinner from the other night that I made - steak, chips and peas with cream, mushroom & onion sauce. I'm aware it doesn't look too appetising but it tasted good and was so filling! Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
1 piece of steak with the fat cut off
1 potato
a few mushrooms
1 onion
a couple of table spoons of creme freche
wholegrain mustard (if you want)
frozen peas (or fresh peas if you fancy!)
Fry Lite

1) peel 1 potato and slice into chips, put them in an oven tray and spray with FryLite - cook for 40 mins or until golden
2) while the chips are cooking, slice the onion and mushrooms and cook slowly. I usually dry-fry these but if you want you can add some FryLite
3) cook your steak, again in FryLite - it doesn't need too much though - to however you like it cooked (you can leave this bit until last if you want, I covered mine in foil and put it in the oven to keep warm though)
4) when your chips are almost ready to be served, add a couple of tablespoons of creme freche to your onions and mushrooms along with a tablespoon of mustard and stir. You can keep adding creme freche until you've got however much sauce you want.
5) serve & enjoy!

Anybody else got any healthy cheats of otherwise sinful meals?

4 comments:

  1. OMG this looks divine Lucy. I am definitely going to try this! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn, i'm so hungry now

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like grilled fish!

    That sauce is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete