Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Guest Post - Helen from Clear Your Heart

Saturday 26 March 2011

Today's guest blog was written by Helen from Clear Your Heart



On 19th January 2010, at about 7pm, I was utterly terrified. I was just about to go to my first Slimming World meeting and I was fairly certain I was going to be the fattest person in the room. I suffered from extremely low self esteem and was wholly convinced that everyone was going to laugh at me. They didn't, of course. What I found instead was a room full of warm, kind, friendly people, who'd all been exactly where I was.

I took a deep breath and stepped onto the scales. 16 stone 3 pounds. I could have cried.

I knew I was big but, in the mirror, I just never thought that I looked that bad. Call it inverse body dysmorphia if you will. I saw a thin person when I looked in the mirror. Sadly, the reality was far from that. I was unhealthy, I slept poorly and I thought nothing of eating two 12 inch pizzas in one sitting. Yes, really.

For years I'd been a binge eater. In private. I would buy mounds of junk food from the shop, gorge myself on it, and then feel awful afterwards. Truly awful. A bad relationship only served to heighten my lack of self worth and self esteem and I spiralled out of all control. Ending up obese, miserable and wondering how on earth I would ever lose the weight.

I'm not sure what finally gave me the willpower to lose the weight I'd been wanting to lose for 10 years. But something did. In January 2010 something pushed me to join Slimming World and the same thing kept pushing me all year. By December 2010 I was 5 stone and 4 pounds lighter, weighing in at a more acceptable 10 stone 13 pounds. Still slightly outside of being a 'healthy weight' but utterly transformed. People I knew when I was younger no longer recognise me (which is sometimes a good thing!) and sometimes I don't recognise myself.

I'm still in the process of getting used to my new size 12 body (I NEVER though I would be a size 12 in Topshop skinny jeans) and, sometimes, I do still struggle with food. I'm not one of those people who no longer craves cheeseburgers. It's a constant battle. But I win it 90% of the time. I've still got about another stone to go until my goal weight and I cannot wait to get there. My current motivation is a beach holiday in Spain in July. Must. Have. Bikini. Body.

I tried numerous fad diets in the past (SlimFast was a particular low point) but nothing ever worked for longer than 3 weeks. I ended up depriving myself so much that I just binged and put all the weight I had lost straight back on. Slimming World has totally changed my life in that respect. I don't deprive myself, but I have treats in moderation. I drink at least 2 litres of water every day and I always drink at least 3 cups of green or fennel tea. I eat in excess of 5 portions of fruit and vegetables every day and I stick to spirits when I go out, instead of the more calorific wine or cider that I used to be partial to.

It hasn't been easy, I cannot lie. But has it been worth it? Absolutely.

If anyone has any questions about Slimming World or how I've lost my weight in general, then feel free to get in touch either in the comments below or by email.

22 comments:

  1. This was so lovely to read :) You look amazing, Helen! Im glad you found something that worked for you.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing inspiration to all of us trying to lose some weight! Absolutely amazing, congratulations on doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly inspiring post! Congratulations xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspirational post! Congrats on your loss!

    I rejoined Slimming World 3 weeks ago after being off plan for 6-8 months...still managed to maintain the 1 stone I had lost. 1 stone 4.5lbs loss to date! :)

    Slimming World is such a fantastic plan and I am glad it works for you and so well!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very inspirational, thank you for sharing your story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing, well done! I can't believe how different you look from last year to this - it's definitely making me want to get my bum in gear and lose that pesky extra weight I have hanging around!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great, thanks for sharing your story!

    Binge eating is definitely my downfall. :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a brave but inspiration post and what a terrific journey you've been on. I did SW a few years back and lost nearly 2 stone but then when i did my MSc I put it all (and more) back on. Since January I've been back to SW with my Mum and it's going well. I have a long way to go but I'm feeling positive and posts like these really make me more motivated as it makes me realise that with a little hard work on my part I can do it. You are looking totally gorgeous and a big well done for how amazing you've done over the past year.


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is amazing! You have really inspired me to go and join! Thank you so much! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! And wow, haven't you done amazingly well? The difference between the before and after photos is stunning.

    Other than the fact that I was heavier to start off with and did it by myself rather than through SW, a spookily similar tale to my own! I wonder if anyone who loses weight and keeps it off actually finds it easy to do? I sense it's always going to be hard work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the before and after photos are amazing! It must feel so good and keep you motivated to see that. Well done Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well done, you look amazing! I really need this motivation, I want to lose at least 3 stone, but the motivation is only half there & the other half seems to get the better of me instead. I'm just starting slimming world again, going to do it on my own though, classes are hard to get to with work, fingers crossed.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have a similar amount of weight to lose and it's a little daunting but I just need to stick at it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankyou for all the lovely comments ladies! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really lovely and hoenst story :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really amazing story i just started slimming world and ive lost 9.4lbs in 4 weeks im thrilled and i enjoy the plan. your story is very motivating.
    you look amazing
    xxx
    www.ablogfromblackkpool.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow that's amazing! You must be so proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done you! I know a few people who've had a lot of success with Slimming World :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow you look amazing, the difference is astounding! Truly an inspiration to everyone!
    Sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Helen, I have just read your story and cried. I joined Slimming World six months ago feeling exactly the same. I too believe that the plan has changed my life and can hardly believe what I have achieved. You have done so so well, and are an absolute inspiration! Good luck with the final push! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, saying I'm inspired is an understatement! What you've achieved is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Came over from Helen's blog. Helen--I had no idea just how much progress you'd made last year. You should be so very proud of yourself. You look fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete