Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Irish Beef Stew

Tuesday 22 November 2011

I have really been listening to what my leader has been saying in class the past few week. Processed food contains a lot of salt which is obviously bad for you but also means you retain water, not good for weight loss. She also said that people who have been on the Weight Watchers plan for a long time start to guess the points values of food and eat the same things resulting in smaller losses. I thought I would go back to basics and make some nice warming winter recipes, making sure I weighed all the ingredients. This stew recipe serves four and was pretty cheap to make it tastes really good too!


Irish Beef Stew


Serves 4
6 Pro Points per serving
Prep 20 mins
Cooking time 160 mins




Ingredients

5 sprays of Fry Light
1 large onion
500g of lean stewing beef
2 medium leeks
1 1/2 stock cubes (I used 1 beef and 1 veg for extra flavour, I didn't add any salt because stock contains a lot)
400g of potatoes cut into chunks
50g of peas, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons of parsley
Freshly gound black pepper


Instructions

Heat cooking spray in a large suacepan then add the stewing steak a little at a time so it sears and browns.

Add the onion, carrots, leeks and stock. Season with pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered for 2 hours. Check the level of liquid and add more stock if needed.

When the meat is tender add the potatoes and cook until tender for about 20 minutes. Stir the peas in and cook for a couple of minutes and sprinkle with parsley before you serve.

I was suprised about how much meat and potato was in the stew, very filling!
What are your favourite winter warming recipes?

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh I love stews!! I put so much veg in mine, swede, turnip, leeks, carrots, I also usually add lentils to mine instead of peas to make it a bit more filling. just a little food for thought...

    Have you got/looked at the one pot recipe book? I'm tempted to buy it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. good idea, fill up on lots of healthy and filling foods!

    I haven't got that book but I might treat myself to it, there are sometimes discounts with my monthly pass membership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had stew today, I recently bought a slow cooker so chopped it all up last night and turned it on this morning. It was ready to eat as soon as I got home from work. Loved it!
    I used beef, carrots, parsnips, leeks, onions and suede in mine.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. that stew looks so yummy!

    XOXO, BECCA
    http://www.fashion-train.co.uk

    ReplyDelete