Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Protein Mug Cake Recipe

Friday 23 August 2013

I'm currently trying to eat 'clean' - no refined sugars or processed foods - along with trying not to eat many carbs.  Trust me when I say that on that diet, sweet treats are few and far between. So I was at a bit of a loose end this afternoon when I had a real hankering for a warm slice of cake to have with my afternoon cup of tea.  I suddenly remembered that I'd seen people post protein mug or bowl cakes on instagram - cakes made with protein powder and cooked in the microwave.  I did a lot of scouting around the internet and finally found a recipe on a MyFitnessPal forum.  I have the Cookies and Cream flavour Whey Protein from My Protein which I bought a few weeks ago, it's only £12.89 for a kilogram so it's really good value and I thought it would be amazing in milkshakes (it is!) and in baking.  The recipe said to use vanilla protein powder but it was still delicious with the flavour I had.

Ingredients:

1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder 
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder 
1 tsp sugar or sugar substitute (I use Truvia baking blend) 
1/4 tsp baking soda 
pinch of salt 
1 egg 
1 tbsp almond milk 
1 tbsp peanut butter 

Instructions:

Mix all the dry ingredients in a mug (protein powder, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt) with a fork until well blended and there are no clumps. Add in the egg and almond milk and mix until smooth. Drop the peanut butter into the center of the chocolate mixture and press down to submerge. Microwave for around 1 minute on high (give or take some time depending on your microwave), but watch it! It will start to bubble over the top. If this happens, stop microwaving, press batter back into mug with fork, and continue microwaving. When finished, cake should be cooked but still very moist. It is okay if not all the batter has cooked! 

This is what it looked like pre-microwaving:



Mine took about 1 minute 30 seconds in the end, when I took it out it looked like this:



It slid out of the mug easily and exposed a gooey base of peanut butter goodness!



I put the ingredients into My Fitness Pal to save it as a recipe and it says it has:

311 calories
4g carbs
16g fat
31g protein
455g sodium
4g sugar

I worked it out to be 7 WW Pro Points but I could be wrong.  Whatever diet or plan you're on it's a great way to get protein and satisfy that sugar craving without going overboard on calories or filling up on the naughty kinds of sugars.  I served mine with blueberries and greek yoghurt and it was really yummy.

























It was a much firmer consistency than cake normally is, very very filling and really felt like such a treat.  I'll definitely be making it again and looking up more recipes.

Let us know if you make this or if you try any other protein cake recipes!

8 comments:

  1. This could not have been better timed! I've just got some protein powder and was wondering what the hell to do with it. Thanks so much!! If you have any other ideas of what to do with protein powder (other than the obvious...) I'd love to know them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Protein pancakes are really good - there are lots of recipes up on Nic's Nutrition, I've been having them for breakfast in the morning and they're really yummy!xo

      Delete
  2. Mmm, looks really yum! I LOVE peanut butter and chocolate together. I've made a mug cake once or twice before - must try this one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I kept reading articles about mug cakes on Buzzfeed and made a gluten-free chocolate one last week, it was pretty good and far more filling than a regular cake. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just recently started using protein powder and have been looking for easy recipes and this certainly fits the bill - will definitely give it a go! xx

    www.justlikeheavenblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love the idea of having the peanut butter oozing out of the middle. My mugcakes never turn out pretty. Think I need to experiment more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As promised, I will deliver you today to dessert table my mom recipes. http://coleens-recipes.blogspot.com/2015/03/cake-recipes-from-my-moms-70th-birthday.html

    ReplyDelete