Disqus for Where Are My Knees

Chickpea and spinach curry recipe

Sunday 10 November 2013

My normal lunch of salad or sandwiches just doesn't cut it in the cold winter months and having soup every day gets dull despite the endless flavour combinations. I've been batch cooking on Sunday's so I have varied, hot lunches to take work in the week and this curry is one of my favourites.



This recipe serves 3-4 depending on how much rice or naan bread you serve with it. 


You will need:


1 tin (420g) of cooked chick peas, drained and rinsed
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tin (420g) of chopped tomatoes
4-5 handfuls of fresh spinach (I used waaay more because I love spinach)
1 large onion, finely sliced
Oil for frying

For the curry paste:

1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 red chilli, finely sliced (I used the frozen cubes of chilli)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (I used lime because it was all I had)
2 tbsps oil
1/2 tsp sea salt 

Making curry paste is pretty easy but if you don't have all of those ingredients it tastes just as good without one or two and you can always just buy some curry paste. 

Method


1. Make you curry paste by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl and smooshing them together. Ideally you would do this with a pestle & mortar but I don't have one.
2. Fry your onions in a little oil in a large pan until golden. Add the garlic and fry for a minute or two.
3. Add the curry paste to the onions and fry over a gentle heat for about 2-3 minutes before adding the chickpeas and tomatoes to the pan.
4. Cover and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Add more water or stock if it gets a bit dry. I add a lot of water because I like my chickpeas to be soft.
5. Add the spinach to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes.

Without rice this curry is around 200 calories and contains 2 of your 5 a day. You can add some yogurt to serve or some coconut cream to make it a bit more saucy. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds so tasty. I've been looking for some lunch ideas - I'm getting fed up of soup every day! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love spinach and chickpea curry. I've never thought about taking something like that to work for lunch. I bet it's nice for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could take this with some naan and toast the naan mmmm. Nice and warm for winter.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love a hot lunch in the autumn/winter, this looks fab! And even better if it's not hideous for me. Win!
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great information.It's really great post.

    About Health & Food

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks so yummy!!


    Thank you so much for your lovely comment! Of course we can follow each other! Id love to keep in touch! Let me know if you follow me and I will follow you right back :D

    And what about other social media? That way I won't miss a thing!


    Facebook / Instagram /Twitter / Chicisimo

     - Hannah's Heels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stumbled across your blog.. and what a treat! I always struggle with lunch time at work.. and tend to just end up spending a fortune in M&S. Going to take a leaf out of your book and cook a batch of healthy meals for the week :) xx

    stylebysmith.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete